[stunnel-users] 4.53 32-bit on Windows 2k8 R2 64bit

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net
Wed May 1 13:25:27 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-24 02:13, Michael Curran wrote:
> We are running stunnel and noticed an issue with what ended up being
> an issue creating a new thread due to running out of memory at 2gb -
> error (8) on create_client
>
> Are there any known issues with 4.53 around memory usage?
>
> We only terminate 2 ports against the installation 443 on 2 different
> interfaces / IP addresses and we ran into this issue with just under
> 5000 total connections

What do you mean by "5000 total connections"?  5000 from opened and
closed?  5000 concurrent?

I'm afraid 5000 concurrent connections may be about as many as 32-bit
stunnel can handle on this platform.  64-bit build is on my TODO list,
but it requires my time and money for a new compiler.  This feature is
currently not my top priority.  Of course, as usual, a sponsor could
change my priorities...
http://www.stunnel.org/sdf_todo.html

Another option to improve the memory management could be LFH:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366750%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
I will try to enable it in stunnel 5.00.

Since 4.53 I have fixed memory management bugs in configuration file
reload and protocol negotiations.  You may try to upgrade stunnel if you
use any of these features.
http://www.stunnel.org/sdf_ChangeLog.html