[stunnel-users] SSL GPU acceleration... very interesting..

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net
Tue Mar 26 23:40:02 CET 2013

On 2013-03-26 19:34, mkanet at yahoo.com wrote:
> Wouldn't it be nice to accelerate Stunnel SSL with sslshader?  I'm not
> sure if sslshader will have opensource/multiplatform support.  But,
> the idea sure sounds neat.
> http://shader.kaist.edu/sslshader/

I found this project back in 2011.  It sounds interesting indeed.  It
would be nice to implement an OpenSSL engine front-end to their
libgpucrypto, so it could be used with stunnel.

Offloading AES or SHA1 is not very practical, as software
implementations can already handle over 1Tbps on modern CPUs.  I bet
stunnel deployments that need to handle over 1Tbps traffic are not very

RSA acceleration on the other hand sounds interesting.  Although over
10ms GPU latency sounds bad compared to ~2ms CPU latency, the bulk
processing throughput of ~20 CPU cores could be useful.
On the other hand I'm not sure if this is the most cost-effective
solution.  It may be cheaper to buy 3 6-core or 8-core CPUs instead.

For comparison stunnel benchmark on a 6-year-old machine: