[stunnel-users] tuning/multiple stunnel instance

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net
Thu Jun 13 22:16:14 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-12 19:53, William Kwan wrote:

> I would like to find out if there's anyway to tune stunnel or what's
> the best practice you would recommend.
>
> I have a bit more than 100 sessions defined in stunnel.conf.  It
> appears that clients started to see latency increase.

I'm pretty sure latency increase has nothing to do with the number of
service sections in your stunnel.conf.

You should investigate:
 - The number of concurrent sessions (with netstat);
 - The number of new sessions negotiated per second (from stunnel logs);
 - Network bandwidth utilization (with your favorite network monitoring
tool), and
 - Your platform (some operating systems are weak server platforms).

Feel free to share your stunnel.conf.  I may have some performance hints
for you.

BTW: Are you sure that stunnel is the bottleneck here and not the
application server?

Best regards,
    Michal Trojnara