[stunnel-users] Getting Stunnel working with Verizon.net SMTP

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Thu Jun 13 12:12:57 CEST 2013

On 13.06.2013 00:31, Gary Kuznitz wrote:
> I selected "Do not use CRAM-MD5 authentication even if it is  advertised"
> It's now woking.

Then technically, Verizon is having a problem in that they announce an
auth mech that actually doesn't work ... (Though that *might* change
from one *user* to another.)

> Do you know if there is any way to remove the emails with the user name
> and password from the archives?

Those mails did not only go to the mailinglist's archives, but also to
however may subscribers, some of them possibly being just feeds into
*other* public archives. Note, however, that your log contained not the
actual password but the HMAC-MD5 digest of it and the challenge string;
it's the *purpose* of HMACs that one cannot derive the "key" (password)
from challenge and digest alone.

(And that's also the reason why a server doing HMAC-MD5 needs a
*plaintext* copy of the password *itself* to verify the digest.)

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel