[stunnel-users] newbie - sTunnel examples and users archive searching

Attila Horvath attila.j.horvath at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 14:27:08 CET 2013

All

I'm new to sTunnel and tunneling in general. Have a couple of quick
questions...

[1] It's been *many* years since I've used or subscribed to mailman. Is
there a way of searching the mail archives online for specific topics
and/or keywords without downloading everything so previously asked
questions aren't repeated ad nauseam?

[2] I have a specific need which I believe sTunnel will solve but not sure
how to go about it. I want to access a machine that is behind a restrictive
firewall from outside the network to perform perform remote desktop
control. The firewall permits HTTP, HTTPS protocols and some similar common
protocols. However, I do not have access to the firewall server ergo have
no control/say over which ports are blocked or forwarded. I have heard
about HTTP hole punching via ssl and http-tunnel - eg:
http://sebsauvage.net/punching/. It sounds like sTunnel is
similar/identical. Can someone point me to specific examples on how to use
sTunnel as well as any examples that might satisfy my need? Is proxy server
necessary to accomplish this?

To date I've been using Teamviewer to access/control my machine(s) in
conjunction with things like AdVOR, TOR, or UltraSurf. While these are
excellent applications and their free use are limited, I do not expect this
will last forever. I prefer to use and trust 'open source' applications
where/when I can.

Much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Attila