[stunnel-users] Stunnel 4.53 for win32 - without config file

Steve Marvin smarvin at pobox.com
Thu Jun 14 22:01:41 CEST 2012

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:56:37 -0400, Brian Wilkins wrote:

>So why not autogenerate it ? What does a key have to do with configurations
>? Just use stunnel for your purpose, scrub, and then regenerate every time.
>Or point the configuration to an encrypted volume ? I am confused.

The key has to reside in a .pem file on disk. .pem files are not encrypted.

Before starting stunnel, I create the .pem from a cert and private key in
the windows store. After stunnel is finished starting all of the services
in the .conf file I scrub the .pem files.

My reply was to "security reasons"...hmm...just bad excuse. In my case
it was the only way I am allowed to use stunnel in the project - otherwise
I would have to write a tls wrapper myself.