[stunnel-users] linux default installation

John A. Wallace jw72253 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 29 19:16:26 CET 2012

From: stunnel-users-bounces at stunnel.org
[mailto:stunnel-users-bounces at stunnel.org] On Behalf Of John A. Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:35 PM
To: stunnel-users at stunnel.org
Subject: [stunnel-users] linux default installation

Hello. I am comparing a default installation of "stunnel.conf" in Linux with
that in Windows, and I found some differences that I have a couple questions
about.  The Windows installation installed in client mode by default, but the
one for Linux in server mode. I made a backup copy of the default files for
both.  For now I want to run stunnel in Linux in client mode, so I am making
some changes to it.  The installed default for these six parameters are as
follows:

Client=no

Chroot=/var/lib/stunnel/

Setuid=stunnel

Setgid=nogroup

Pid=/var/run/stunnel.pid

Cert=/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem

Is it correct to change these settings for testing in client mode so that they
match the current Windows' client mode configuration, like so:

Client=yes

#Chroot=/var/lib/stunnel/

#Setuid=stunnel

#Setgid=nogroup

#Pid=/var/run/stunnel.pid

#Cert=/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem

As a follow up to this initial question, which I suppose now was asked
prematurely, I can say that I have tested this better and decided to keep all
the default settings turned on, not commented out as I initially intended, in
the default Linux installation configuration, except for these two, which I have
now set as shown here:

Client=yes

#Cert=/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem

And everything seems to be working fine now.  I set up the run level for stunnel
to start automatically when I boot up.  I commented out the "Cert=" option
because I do not think I am using it at this point.  All appears good so far as
I can see, and the program is most certainly functioning as expected in client
mode, making good connections and no timeouts.  :-)