[stunnel-users] stunnel log delayed

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net
Wed Feb 29 08:17:10 CET 2012

"John A. Wallace" <jw72253 at verizon.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am running stunnel on Linux in client mode, and I have the following
>setting
>in "stunnel.conf":
>
>output=stunnel.log
>
>The log does not get written to periodically while the program is
>running but is
>delayed until after I have closed the program.  It would be helpful to
>be able
>to look at it from time to time, especially while troubleshooting.  Any
>way "to
>push" the data down into the file sooner?  Thanks.
>
>John

Hi John,

For performance reasons in most cases it is not a good idea to flush log buffers every time a new line is logged.  On the other hand, as you mentioned, sometimes it makes sense to see the logs as soon as they are produced.

There are two solutions:
1. I could add a new configuration line option to control logfile buffering.
2. I could add a new thread flushing the logfile buffers every second.