[stunnel-users] Stunnel compiled with openssl 1.0.1 local binaries are 0.9.8k

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net
Wed Apr 11 12:48:44 CEST 2012

Michael Curran wrote:
> Are there any potential known issues with stunnel being compiled
> using openssl 1.0.1 build and leaving the local system binaries at
> 0.9.8k
>
> Do you know of any way to test this for any incompatibilities? This
> was not my design, Im just being asked to support it and Im looking
> to make sure this method is not going to cause anything unusual.

Generally (depending on the version of stunnel) it shouldn't work, as
some API functions only available in a new versions of the OpenSSL
library will not be exported by an old library.  Even if you're able
to start stunnel, runtime problems are expected.

If your problem is that you can't upgrade your OS - there is a simple
workaround.  Just replace:
	/your_dir/bin/stunnel /your_dir/etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf
with:
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/your_dir/lib/ /your_dir/bin/stunnel /your_dir/etc/
stunnel/stunnel.conf
where /your_dir/lib/ is where your OpenSSL 1.0.1 shared libraries are
installed.