[stunnel-users] stunnel4 with exec as service for securing pop3

Jörg-Volker Peetz jvpeetz at web.de
Thu May 19 12:59:41 CEST 2011

I would like to run the stunnel4 daemon in order to provide a pop3s service by
using a pop server (solid-pop3d).
The following configuration file doesn't work (the pop3 server doesn't start, I
think) and I would like to ask for any hints.

cert = /etc/stunnel/stunnel4.pem

sslVersion = SSLv3

accept  = 995
exec     = /usr/sbin/solid-pop3d
execargs = solid-pop3d

I would expect stunnel4 to start up solid-pop3d every time someone connects to
port 995 and communicate to solid-pop3d, just like inetd would do, if configured
to serve solid-pop3d.

By the way, I have opened the service "pop3s" in /etc/hosts.allow.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Best regards,