[stunnel-users] Odd stunnel problem

Jean-Yves F. Barbier 12ukwn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 20:34:05 CEST 2011

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 10:39:44 -0700, Tristan Schmelcher
<tristan_schmelcher at alumni.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> problem. One of our customers sees an issue every couple weeks where the
> stunnel process becomes busted. Attempts to establish a connection through
> stunnel to any host hang indefinitely. Interface stats indicate that stunnel
> sends and receives a flurry of packets--as if a TLS connection was
> successfully established--but the local plaintext socket connection to
> stunnel never passes data. For example, if attempting to run telnet over
> stunnel, the telnet client just sits there and doesn't write anything to the
> terminal. During this time the network is otherwise functioning fine.

Things that comes to my mind:
* I had a mobo w/ a funny onboard ethernet I/F: after "some" networking, it
  needed a linux driver reload (or w$ reboot) - never knew why,
* a MiM missed attack could also give this result (cli should watch arp),
* Even though I'm downtown the renewal of my adsl box lease takes almost 4
  minutes to "stabilize".

JY
--
I can't die until the government finds a safe place to bury my liver.
		-- Phil Harris