[stunnel-users] Does stunnel support startTLS?

Markus Borst M.Borst at hrz.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Apr 27 13:09:55 CEST 2011

Stunnel supports encryption in the "old" ssl style extra port
configuration (i.e. imaps on port 993) where the encryption is
negotiated immediately upon start of the connection.

Does stunnel also support the startTLS method? i.e. a clear text
connection is established (imap on port 143) and one of the first imap
commands is startTLS, which negotiates the encryption and protects the
connection from that time onwards. I know that supporting startTLS is a
lot harder, since it means sniffing commands in the higher level
protocol, but we need it nevertheless. (In fact, our imap server does
support startTLS, but it does _not_ support importing an external
certificate, which is why I'm looking for an external solution.)

 From reading the documentation I'm not sure whether stunnel supports
startTLS, there are a few option descriptions which might point to
startTLS, but I'm not sure. Anybody knows the definite answer?

Greetings
Markus Borst

--
TU Darmstadt