[stunnel-users] Can't get transparent mode to work from remote IP

Ben Schmidt crackhd2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:11:30 CEST 2011

Hello stunnel Mailinglist,

I'm new to stunnel and so far it works just fine. What impressed me
the most is that is faster then Apache's mod_ssl. My only Problem is
that I can't get stunnel to work in transparent mode. When I try to
access it from a remote IP I get timeouts connecting to the Non-SSL
Server.

I'm prettymuch relying on the manual in section "transparent":
http://www.stunnel.org/static/stunnel.html

Scenario: local 10.0.0.0/22 > Server with stunnel (10.0.3.48/22) > local apache

My config: http://pastebin.com/BQmXeT5b
Log: http://pastebin.com/enQTAWB9
"stunnel -sockets": http://pastebin.com/Zbz9FTr6
"iptables -L -v": http://pastebin.com/0b90Nay8
executing iptables, again: http://pastebin.com/T87cGPBX

The apache listening on port 80 reporting hits from the Computers
private IP but not from any remote IPs in the same network. Firewalls
and stuff like that are not the Problem. The remote Computer can
access port 80 without any Problems and it works fine when I switch
from stunnel to apaches mod_ssl.

My Testsetup is using 4.29 on ubuntu 10.10 GNU/Linux amd64 with kernel
2.6.35 and OpenSSL 0.9.8o

Could anybody please point me in the rigth direction, I know that I'm
missing something but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks a lot,

Ben