[stunnel-users] Individual user certs for each person who uses Windows PC

Pierre DELAAGE delaage.pierre at free.fr
Mon Sep 6 21:20:13 CEST 2010

Hi,
Other software using certs still have their own way to store and access
them:
eg firefox and opera browsers.
Even Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox store SEPARATELY their certs (!).
I agree that things could be better but it is the way it is.

If M$ cryptoapi was a standard, maybe stunnel could use it to load certs
and pass them to openssl,
or -preferrably-  specify a particular syntax to tell openssl to load
them in that "standard manner".
But it would add a huge amount of code for that, either in stunnel or
openssl.

The same effect can be easily obtained by using M$ IE to export useful
certs in a USER owned folder, to cer64 (ie pem) format, and then use
these files in
stunnel as usual. Every ordinary user can do that with a simple instruction.

"Subst" does in local the same job as "net use" on the network :
mapping location (local for subst, remote for netuse) to a drive,
so that -almost- the same startup script can be use to map drives and
start stunnel,
all this in a user context, not polluting other user context.
Of course a script can use subst with something like this : subst z:
%HOMEPATH%
so that there is no need for a specific script per user.

Pierre