[stunnel-users] How do you configure Stunnel Ver 4.31 for TLSv1 - More Info

David M. Douglass david at az-douglass.net
Fri Feb 26 01:20:07 CET 2010

Reference:  Stunnel Ver 4.31 Windows Binaries

This is the actual configuration file I am using. There is not too much to
it.

As shown below, this WORKS for Gmail's SSL port.. Port 465.

Notice that the sslVersion statement is remarked "out".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

output = STUNNEL.log

taskbar = NO

cert = stunnel.pem

client = yes

[SSMTP]

accept=DADSXPPRO:8025

connect=smtp.gmail.com:465

;sslVersion = TLSv1

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In theory (as I have read it...), to change this to TLS, I enable the
sslVersion line,

And change the port (for Gmail) to 587.

Port 587 and TLS for Gmail have been tested and verified via Microsoft
Outlook testing.

But when I do so, I cannot even log onto the Gmail server.

I get the error message referenced in the first message:

2010.02.25 10:35:44 LOG3[2696:2740]: SSL_connect: 1408F10B:
error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number

It occurs to me that I am only using the "stunnel.pem" file, as supplied by
the installer program.

Do I have a certificate issue?

David M. Douglass

david at az-douglass.net