[stunnel-users] Does stunnel support IPv6, and proxying from IPv4 to IPv6?

Jeff Schmidt jsbiff at weldingengineering.com
Fri Feb 5 18:37:24 CET 2010

Hello,

    I was wondering, does stunnel have IPv6 support? If so, does such
support extend to the point of allowing the 'local' side of the
connection (e.g. from a server process, or from a client application) to
be made with IPv4, while the 'global' side is IPv6? If so, is it
possible to use stunnel in an unencrypting mode (that is, not encrypting
the data with SSL, but just using stunnel to proxy traffic between IPv4
and IPv6)?

    The reason I ask is that I am looking for a solution to allow me to
IPv6-enable 'legacy' IPv4 applications. When I started thinking about
this problem, I almost immediately remembered using stunnel in the past
to SSL-enable IPv4 applications which didn't have built-in SSL support,
and it occured to me that there was a lot of similarity between the
non-SSL application problem, and the non-IPv6 application problem - that
is, it seems like possibly, you could setup a sort of IPv6 tunnel using
stunnel (or something similar), where the legacy application makes an
local IPv4 connection to the stunnel/proxy software, and the proxy then
makes an IPv6 connection, just like stunnel accepts local IPv4
connections (unecrypted) and then creates a second, proxied connection
which is encrypted.

   Does that make any sense? (I hope so). So, can stunnel be used with
both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously?