[stunnel-users] How do I do a one-time client connection?

D. Richard Hipp drh at hwaci.com
Tue Jan 13 16:09:35 CET 2009

Perhaps I spoke too soon about having solved my own problem.

Suppose I have a configuration file (test.conf) like this:

     client=yes
     connect=www.fossil-scm.org:443

Then if I run:

     stunnel test.conf

And I type "GET / HTTP/1.0" on standard input, the webpage comes back
on standard output.  So far so good.  But if I do:

     stunnel test.conf <test.in >test.out

Where file test.in contains the "GET / HTTP/1.0" test, I get nothing
back!  I also tried this:

     cat test.in | stunnel test.conf

And various combinations of this:

     openssl s_client -connect www.fossil-scm.org:443 <test.in

In every case, when I type the GET line on standard input it works.
When I redirect from a file it does not.  Any hints on the cause of
the very unexpected and very mysterious behavior?

D. Richard Hipp
drh at hwaci.com