[stunnel-users] Stunnel New User

Scott Gifford sgifford at suspectclass.com
Mon Jan 5 15:45:17 CET 2009

"David Aitchison" <Daitchison at Integria.co.uk> writes:

[...]

> If I have Stunnel running on the server, does this mean that all mails that
> leave that server will be SSL encrypted? I have a requirement to send mails out
> over SSL, but my application doesn't support that, it does support sending out
> over standard SMTP port 25, but I need it to use port 465?

Not necessariliy.  stunnel will set up the SSL forwarding, but cannot
make your applications automatically use it.  However, if you forward
port 25 on the local host to an SSL-protected port 465 on a remote
host, then any clients that connect to port 25 on the local host will
send mail via the encrypted tunnel.  If you can make sure that
everything on that server that sends mail does so via SMTP to port 25
on the local host, then everything should go out protected with SSL.

Hope this helps,

-----Scott.