[stunnel-users] Stunnel configure error

Andrew Schulman andrex at alumni.utexas.net
Wed Aug 12 13:51:44 CEST 2009

> # ls -al /tmp
> -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root      2434012 Aug 12 01:44 stunnel
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1148 Aug 12 01:37 stunnel.conf
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1977 Aug 12 01:44 stunnel.pem
> drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Dec 31  1969 var
> # cd /tmp
> # ./stunnel
> -sh: ./stunnel: not found
>
> The file is obviously there, with execute permissions.  What is failing??

I believe this means stunnel depends on a shared library that's not available in
Tomato.  In fact, I see that the dynamic loader, ld.so, isn't even present in
Tomato.  So that's the answer:  stunnel is incomplete because it depends on
shared libraries, which Tomato doesn't have the facilities to load.  "not found"
is Linux's unhelpful way of telling you that this isn't a valid executable,
since it's not complete and can't be completed at run time.

The solution is to recompile stunnel statically, so it doesn't depend on any
external libraries.  Try running

LDFLAGS=-static ./configure

In order for the linking step to be successful, you may have to install some
more -dev packages.  The final stunnel file will be a good bit fatter.

A.