[stunnel-users] Moving binaries to /usr/bin

Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz rodrigo at nul-unu.com
Sun Sep 23 01:27:31 CEST 2007

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 09:55:30PM +0200, Michal Trojnara wrote:
> On Saturday 22 September 2007 21:04, Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
> > a) If I don't, I'll be breaking the LSB, and thus, Debian policy.
> >
> > Actually, the point of my mail was to see if I could stop carrying
> > this divergence, by having the change incorporated here, upstream. I
> > read your answer as saying 'no', and that's fine by me.
>
> You're not very good at reading my answers.  8-)

Sorry.

> In fact I'm likely to be convinced with reasonable argumentation.
>
> To clarify "reasonable":
>  - argumentation "according to LSB section x.y.z" or "this is simple, very
> useful and unlikely to break portability" usually works;

Ok.

Debian policy demands packages comply with the Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard 2.3. So does LSB chapter 16. This makes it advisable to
comply with it on every Linux and not unreasonable (I think) to comply
on every *NIX.

FHS specifies that

 /sbin : System binaries

 Purpose

 Utilities used for system administration (and other root-only
 commands) are stored in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin. /sbin
 contains binaries essential for booting, restoring, recovering,
 and/or repairing the system in addition to the binaries in /bin. [18]
 Programs executed after /usr is known to be mounted (when there are
 no problems) are generally placed into /usr/sbin.  Locally-installed
 system administration programs should be placed into /usr/
 local/sbin. [19]

Note [19] reads:

 Deciding what things go into "sbin" directories is simple: if a
 normal (not a system administrator) user will ever run it directly,
 then it must be placed in one of the "bin" directories. Ordinary
 users should not have to place any of the sbin directories in their
 path.

 For example, files such as chfn which users only occasionally use
 must still be placed in /usr/bin. ping, although it is absolutely
 necessary for root (network recovery and diagnosis) is often used by
 users and must live in /bin for that reason.

To me (and to the submitter of debian bug report #348862)
this implies stunnel ought not be in /usr/sbin.

OTOH, I have no idea how much this will break compatibility with
non-linux systems, or how painful for widespread change it would be.