[stunnel-users] Moving binaries to /usr/bin

Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz rodrigo at nul-unu.com
Sat Sep 22 21:04:30 CEST 2007

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 06:18:29PM +0200, Michal Trojnara wrote:
> On Saturday 22 September 2007 07:50, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > > The Debian package of stunnel changed the default location of the
> > > binaries, from /usr/sbin to /usr/bin. This is because we consider that
> > > stunnel is not an admin only tool, but is useful to regular users (as
> > > it does not require root privileges for several common use cases).
> >
> > I did the same in Cygwin (or maybe the previous packager did; anyway Cygwin
> > puts the main executable in /usr/bin), for the same reason.
>
> My comment to all port maintainers, if my opinion as the mainstream author is
> somehow relevant:

Indeed it is :)

> I don't recommend implementing any changes that break mainstream
> compatibility.

I agree with the idea. Unfortunately, I'm now sort of forced to do
this because

a) If I don't, I'll be breaking the LSB, and thus, Debian policy.

b) The change is already done (indeed, it was done by the previous
maintainer quite a while ago). Changing it back now will just bring
pointles breakage to users.

Actually, the point of my mail was to see if I could stop carrying
this divergence, by having the change incorporated here, upstream. I
read your answer as saying 'no', and that's fine by me. The change has
not been a support burden so far, so I will keep it. That's I think,
the correct compromise, as it's Debian's (and not mainstream's)
requirements I'm serving with it.