[stunnel-users] certificates, openssl and stunnel on windows

David Schulberg davids at evertech.com.au
Tue Sep 11 16:12:02 CEST 2007

Hi All,

Without wishing to sound naïve I find this whole subject area to be
extraordinarily riddled with cryptic explanations of how to configure
stunnel to work with a key and certificate.

Using openssl I have generated a file including RSA private key and
certificate which stunnel running as a server happily digests.
Now I want to create the cer file that Windows will happily digest on the
client side. Short of ripping the certificate out of the stunnel.pem file
that I created using the command

openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -nodes -config stunnel.cnf -out stunnel.pem
-keyout stunnel.pem

what are the steps to getting that holy grail with a 'cer' extension?

Please educate
David