[stunnel-users] Using stunnel for RDP / Proxy / Firewall

garberfc garberfc at coolsite.net
Sat Oct 20 14:25:18 CEST 2007

Hi All

I'm a relative newbie to Stunnel, and am trying to set up a tunnel so I can
Remote Desktop from work to my PC/server at home.

I'm using versions 4.20 of the Windows binaries.

I've tested the configuration and it works from home using a laptop that is
going through my firewall
when I enter my domain home (so my firewall is set up correctly). I tried a
variety of common ports and got the same response every time.  I had to use
the 127.0.0.2 on the client because Remote Desktop didn't want me connecting
to myself...

When I try if from work I get a dialog box:
  The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.
   The most likely causes for this error are:
   1) Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
   2)The maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer.
   3) A network error occurred while establishing the connection.

My config is as follows:

#Client
;cert = stunnel.pem
;key = stunnel.pem

; Some performance tunings
socket = l:TCP_NODELAY=1
socket = r:TCP_NODELAY=1

; Some debugging stuff useful for troubleshooting
debug = 7
output = stunnel.log

; Use it for client mode
client = yes

; Service-level configuration
[https-RDT]
accept = 127.0.0.2:3389
connect = xx.xx.xx.xx:1494

#Server
; Some performance tunings
socket = l:TCP_NODELAY=1
socket = r:TCP_NODELAY=1

; Some debugging stuff useful for troubleshooting
debug = 7
output = stunnel.log

; Use it for client mode
client = no

; Service-level configuration
[https-RDT]
accept = 1494
connect = localhost:3389

Is there something I need to do to traverse this proxy? Any help would be
greatly appreciated!