[stunnel-users] Problem with stunnel 4.20 on Fedora 7

InfotechCapital thebusybox at rainswept.com
Fri Nov 30 08:05:41 CET 2007

I'm also on 4.2 (Windows), and I came here looking for exactly the same
message. Finding no mention other than your request, I examined one of my
working blocks against a non-working one, looked at yours, made a simple
change, and it worked. Why? Remove the comments after your variable
assignments, especially on the "connect" line. If you must have them, they
need to be on their own lines and start in column 1, i.e., instead of this:

   accept=443       ; https port
   connect=80       ; standard httpd listening port
   TIMEOUTclose=0   ; must set this or IE waits 60sec on page end

just do something akin to:

; 443 https port / 80 = standard http listening port
; must set TIMEOUTclose or IE waits 60sec on page end
accept=443
connect=80
TIMEOUTclose=0

This appears to be an obscure RTFM issue; I blithely assumed (perhaps much
like you) from my 20 years of IT experience that well--if a comment starts
with a semicolon I could bloody well put it anywhere. No, you can't, and the
FAQ says so:

  http://www.stunnel.org/faq/stunnel.html#configuration_file

What a painfully esoteric way to be told you're violating a very, very old
(but arguably efficient) way of doing comments. This is the first time I've
ever gotten your error, and I've been bitten by the random freeform comment
for months. Your post made me think...nah...oh...sigh. So, start everything
in column 1--and don't mix lines--and when you do try this, don't forget to
make sTunnel reload its config. Good luck.

-----
--
Kirk M. Schafer

Infotech Capital