[stunnel-users] Download speed affected with stunnel help needed please.

tom hammond hostermost at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 13:25:04 CET 2007

   Using HFS 2.1d http://www.rejetto.com and Stunnel 4.20 on single WinXP machine.

    The list of parameters you are using for stunnel, and if you are  running it standalone or from inetd/xinetd:
      socket = l:TCP_NODELAY=1
      socket = r:TCP_NODELAY=1
      [https]
      accept = #
      connect = #
      TIMOUTclose = 0

I dont'understand 3-7 as given here:
http://www.stunnel.org/support/
only used OpenSSL to make CERT Win32 OpenSSL v0.9.8e Light

***************************************
When using HTTPs: for UPLOADING I get full speed.
When using HTTPs: for DOWNLoADING the speed in cut drastically, 20x slower.
The odd thing is, multiple downloads can go at once eg: 20 connections @80kb/second
However no single connection will get over 80 or 100kb/second

I searched the net and couldn't find a solution, but continuously came across mention of "loopback" problems with stunnel and http servers (old posts)
or saying stuff about Microsoft winsock, found a few mentions of VNC server having an option to "enable loopback connections"

Another thing I saw but closed (oops) was mention of disabling an HTTP server in order to avoid loopback problems with HTTPS serving.(HFS has no option because it is designed to serve ONLY HTTP)

I have tons of hope for an easy solution for the following reasons:
#1, uploading works perfect
#2 just downloaded demo of Easy File Sharing Web Server(not free like HFS) and the download speed works through HTTPS.

I have no clue as to how to fix this, saw one entry in the stunnel config at ssl.org:
socket = a:SO_BINDTODEVICE=lo

I DID attempt to enter this line into the config under my 2 original entries, but then stunnel would not start.

Thank you