[stunnel-users] setting up HTTPS service?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Oct 26 08:50:50 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 03:32:02PM -0600, joe at strout.net wrote:
> Complete newbie here, so please bear with me.
> I want to set up HTTPS service on a Mac OS X (10.4.7) machine running a
> custom web server.  I imagine that Stunnel could be made to listen on
> the standard HTTPS port (443), do the encryption/decryption, and pass
> the resulting data to/from the HTTP port (80, or a custom port I
> specify).
> This is probably very easy, but none of the documentation or examples I
> found covered this.  Has anyone done this?  Or if not, can you sketch
> out how I would go about it?  Any gotchas or caveats I should be aware
> of?

A quick Google search for "stunnel HTTPS wrapper" turned up
http://www.stunnel.org/examples/https_windows.html among others.
Even though the instructions there are for Windows, it could be useful
as a starting point - the basic procedures (configuring OpenSSL,
creating a self-signed certificate, the basic stunnel config file) are
pretty much the same for most OS's.

Hope that helps!

Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
I've heard that this sentence is a rumor.