[stunnel-users] Using stunnel to add https support to ONE virtual host

Gonzalo Diethelm gonzalo.diethelm at diethelm.org
Fri May 5 01:17:57 CEST 2006

I have Apache serving plain http pages for several domains running as
virtual hosts on one machine (debian). I know SSL will not work with
this setup, and I understand the reasons why (at least I think I do).
Let's say the virtual hosts are

I would like to use stunnel to add https capabilities to ONE of the
virtual hosts (say, www.server3.com). In other words, I would like to
configure stunnel in server mode with a certificate file, listening on
www.server3.com:443, so that if I use a browser to visit

then stunnel will accept the connection and forward all traffic to
www.server3.com:80, letting Apache handle it; in particular, this would
have to allow Apache to recognize which of the virtual hosts is being
visited; I wouldn't like to have www.server1.com respond to my requests
instead of www.server3.com.

Is this possible? Any caveats, hints, recommendations?

Thanks in advance, and best regards,

Gonzalo Diethelm
gonzalo.diethelm at aditiva.com