[stunnel-users] Addendum to Help With Verify = 3

David T. Ashley dta at e3ft.com
Fri Oct 7 06:17:06 CEST 2005

Hi,

Addendum to my previous e-mail:

It looks like I shot myself in the foot.  I had my my SSH client open
concurrently, and it looks like it was doing the port forwarding (rather
than Stunnel).  In any case, I was able to get connection rejections.  Here
is what I have on the server side:

BEGIN**********************
cert = /usr/local/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem
key = /usr/local/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem
CAfile = /usr/local/etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem
verify = 3
END************************

Here is what I have on the client side:

BEGIN**********************
cert = stunnel.pem
   #Note that above was copied from the server.
verify = 0
client = yes
END************************

And here are the /var/log/secure entries I got when I tried two different
certificates (one right, one wrong).

BEGIN**********************
Oct  7 03:57:09 pamc stunnel[3006]: VERIFY OK: depth=0,
/C=US/ST=Ohio/L=Sandusky/O=Test Company/OU=SMTP/CN=myserver.mydomain
Oct  7 03:57:12 pamc stunnel[3006]: Connection closed: 44 bytes sent to SSL,
6 bytes sent to socket
Oct  7 04:00:05 pamc stunnel[3006]: ssmtp connected from 70.226.90.31:1873
Oct  7 04:00:05 pamc stunnel[3006]: VERIFY ERROR: depth=0, error=self signed
certificate: /C=PL/O=Stunnel Developers Ltd/CN=localhost
Oct  7 04:00:05 pamc stunnel[3006]: SSL_accept: 140890B2: error:140890B2:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_CERTIFICATE:no certificate returned

Is this looking right?

Is this process as simple as being sure that stunnel.pem on the server
matches stunnel.pem on the client.

Looks like it is working, but is there anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks and best regards, Dave Ashley.