[stunnel-users] Peer suddenly disconnected

Mark Tabash mark.tabash at novacolor.ca
Mon Oct 3 17:44:43 CEST 2005

I'm 99.9% sure its not my firewalls that are the culprits because while
I was testing I had the client pc running behind the same
firewall/router that I shipped along with the client pc. So that puts
the client side firewall out of the equation. Now for the server side, I
tested that by setting my home pc as the client and connecting to my
work server. That worked perfectly. So that takes the server side
firewall out of the equation too. What's left is the client side ISP
(Direcway satellite service), which is the only option available in the
client location.

What I know about Direcway:

*  They are not VPN friendly (they state that on their website). I do
not consider an SSL tunnel as a VPN but...
*  If you do run  a VPN, your connection speed drops by 50% (unless you
buy some extra hardware from them), but it should still work even if you
do not invest in the extra hardware
*  The latency on that connection is mortal. Just try SSH on you will
know (between 0.6 and 2.5 seconds per keystroke)

Also, I played around with the timeout counters on boths sides but that
did not help. Specifically, TIMEOUTconnect and TIMEOUTclose. One setup
that did work, curiously enough, was switching roles between server and
client. When I turned the client pc into the server and vice versa, it
worked flawlessly.

I'm fresh out of ideas.