[stunnel-users] Linux pppd VPN network notwork very well

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mobi-com.net
Sun Jul 24 14:50:57 CEST 2005

On Thursday 21 of July 2005 16:50, Colin McKinnon wrote:
> 1) The connection goes down fairly regluarly.
[cut]
> Jul 19 08:25:59 serv8 stunnel[740]: stunnel 4.05 on i686-suse-linux-gnu
> PTHREAD with OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004

NEVER report problems with an old version of stunnel.
ALWAYS try to upgrade it, first.

> 2) bandwidth on the link is poor.

Sure.
You have ip-over-ppp-over-ssl-over-tcp-over-ip encapsulation.
You shouldn't be surprised it's slower that non-encrypted traffic.  8-)

The main source of low troughput is high latency:

> 3) latency is a lot higher too

Just disable Nagle Algorithm in your stunnel.conf file with:
socket = l:TCP_NODELAY=1
socket = r:TCP_NODELAY=1

> 4) The VPN seems to stutter more regularly than the direct connection
> ...I mean that I don't seem to be getting any traffic for 5-10 seconds then
> it resumes without any loss of data (e.g. when using ssh).

Upgrade your stunnel...

Best regards,