[stunnel-users] SSL Session Cache and HTTPS performance

Daniel Hamburg daniel.hamburg at iis.rub.de
Mon Jul 18 17:31:26 CEST 2005

Hello everybody,

I hope I didn't muss an existing thread about this question, but I
wasn't able to find one. At least none where I found an answer, although
my question is quite simple.

I would like to test the performance difference between enabled and
disabled SSLCaching. I use a configuration file for Stunnel 4.11 (daemon
mode) where I tell it to accept incoming connections on port 444 and
direct them to a local web-server on port 80.

Because STunnel uses Caching by default, I tried to tell STunnel to
disable SSL Caching by setting
session = 0
in the configuration file, which resulted in an error when starting the
program. I looked at the code and found that there is a check so that
the session parameter can not be equal to 0. I disabled the check and
started stunnel again which seemed to work.

But taking a look at the packets exchanged via a browser and the server
resulted in the conclusion that caching is still enabled.

My simple question is, how I can disable the Caching.

Another question is if anyone of you has made any performance tests
regarding STunnel in combination with an Apache HTTP server on the same
machine. I'm specially interested in modes to get this combination run
faster. And now please do not tell me to use mod_ssl. :)

Thanks in advance.

   Daniel

   Dipl.-Ing. Daniel Hamburg                      Tel.: 0234/32-28034
   Ruhr-Universität Bochum                        Fax.: 0234/32-08034
   Arbeitsgruppe Integrierte Informationssysteme
   IC 4/47
   Universitätsstraße 150             Web: www.iis.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
   D-44780 Bochum                    eMail: daniel.hamburg at iis.rub.de