[stunnel-users] Web browsing over stunnel

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Tue Nov 7 17:05:41 CET 2017

On 11/07/2017 04:28 PM, Osvald Brko wrote:
> 127.0.0.1 www.wikipedia.org
> But of course I am not able to use any web link, and I can see only default main page without any path.
> So stunnel is completely unusable for web browsing, I am right?

This setup should allow you to browse the entirety of www.wikipedia.org,
*including* other pathes/pages thereon.

Considering that *other* hostnames appear even right on the starting
page (commons.wikimedia.org, www.wikiquote.org, upload.wikimedia.org,
etc.), you're unlikely to *stay* within those limits for any length of
time, though.

(On many other websites, the CSS etc. will *already* be under another
hostname, so even the start page will "not look right" if your direct
access to the Internet is blocked. And don't even think about sites
using CDNs.)

If by "web browsing", you mean (potentially) the *entire* web instead of
one specific standalone server, you need a web proxy, which stunnel is not.

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur