[stunnel-users] Connecting stunnels

Juhasz Gabor Gabor.Juhasz at KONE.com
Wed Mar 30 14:45:25 CEST 2016

Hi Ludolf,

Thanks for you reply.

Yes, I mean how you wrote.

Could you write the name of this feature or doc to understand how it works.

Thanks & Kind regards,
Gabor
From: stunnel-users [stunnel-users-bounces at stunnel.org] on behalf of Ludolf Holzheid [lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:34 PM
To: stunnel-users at stunnel.org
Subject: Re: [stunnel-users] Connecting stunnels

On Wed, 2016-03-30 10:54:29 +0000, Juhasz Gabor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am newbie in stunnel world so sorry for my question
> if it was already answered earlier.
>
> I have the following task to solve somehow :
>
> We have 1 server with 2 stunnel connections (any kind).
> We have e.g. http communicatoin via tunnels.
> Is there any support in stunnel to connect them somehow.
> Probably we do not need bidirectional communication.
>
> [client1]----- stunnel 1---> [server]------stunnel2 ----->[client2]
>
> So [client1] --> [client2]
>
> If there is no support in stunnel do you have any idea how to do it?

Gabor,

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Let's start with nomenclature:

 o A server is a unit (hardware or software) that provides services,
   e.g. e-mail distribution.

 o A client is a unit that uses services a server provides.

A client connects to a server if it wants to use a service.  For that,
the server listens on an address (e.g. IP host address and TCP port
number) known to the client.

For instance, a mail client establishes a TCP connection to TCP port
25 on a host running an SMTP mail server if it wants to send an
e-mail.

A server does not establish any connections to clients.  It just
listens on a known address and waits for clients to connect.

If, in your example, 'client2' is a server according to my definition
and 'client1' is a real client, then yes, stunnel could be used to
e.g. encrypt the traffic between 'client1' and 'client2'.

Ludolf

--

Ludolf Holzheid

Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH
Floßwörthstraße 41
68199 Mannheim, Germany

Tel: +49 621 33996-0
Fax: +49 621 3392239

mailto:lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
http://www.bihl-wiedemann.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Mannheim
Geschäftsführer: Jochen Bihl, Bernhard Wiedemann
Amtsgericht Mannheim, HRB 5796