[stunnel-users] Compilation issues - AIX 6.1 XLC and GXLC

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 13 11:46:49 CET 2015

Hi Michal,

Am 13.11.2015 um 11:43 schrieb Michal Trojnara <Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net>:
> On 13.11.2015 02:35, Rob Lockhart wrote:
> > On AIX 6.1 using IBM's XLC compiler, I do "configure" and that
> > successfully completes. However, when I "make", it fails due to
> > the parameters "-fstack-protector" and "-fPIE"... apparently it
> > couldn't find the files "stack-protector" and "PIE" as "-f"
> > specifies a file.
>
> I use:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_append_compile_flags.ht
> ml
> https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_append_link_flags.html
> macros to check whether the compiler/linker accepts specific flags.
> See the configre.ac script for details.
>
> The preferred solution would be to fix those macros.  Implementing
> workarounds for specific compilers is obviously not a good idea.
> Maybe I should only check those options if gcc is detected.  What do
> you think?

I think this is a good idea. Other projects deal with the issue in a similar way.
On Oracle Studio the compiler flags are basically ignored and issue a warning
but produce a working binary, but the build process is cluttered with warnings.
Even when you fix the macros this issue would stay, so restricting the checks
to gcc is probably the best way.

Best regards

  — Dago