[stunnel-users] Stunnel4 not working?

Rob Lockhart rlockhar at gmail.com
Wed May 13 19:09:32 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 12:16 PM, David H. Durgee <dhdurgee at verizon.net>
wrote:

> Given a lack of other suggestions here and elsewhere that yielded any
> progress, I decided to download the current source and attempt to build it
> on my system.  I didn't see a routine to check for prerequisites being met,
> so I wound up running ./configure several times and adding the libssl-dev,
> libwrap0-dev and libsystemd-daemon-dev packages based on what I saw in the
> output. Perhaps a check routine could be added later?
>
> I then ran make and the output contains neither errors nor warnings, so
> that looks good.  As suggested in the INSTALL file, I next ran make check
> and received neither errors nor warnings.
>
> At this point the next step appears to be make install as root, but I am
> wondering if I should uninstall the stunnel4 package from the repository
> first.  I am also wondering if I can simply use the existing
> /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf that I included in my first post in this thread
> or if I should start over with one of the examples included with this
> version.
>
> I would appreciate input from the list on this.  If you want to see
> further details, such as ./configure or make outputs or configuration files
> just let me know and I will put them in a follow-up post.

Dave,

Friday I did try to build Stunnel 5.17 with Linux Mint x86_64 (as a VM in
Win7 x64) and compiling OpenSSL 1.0.2a. I did remember getting some errors
for SSLv2 with Stunnel 5.17. I'll try and do this again when I get home. I
was going to try the latest OpenSSL 1.0.1m (latest 1.0.1 IIRC) but same
thing with Stunnel 5.17.

I did notice that it appears that all Debian repositories still use the
insecure and vulnerable OpenSSL version, which demanded that I build the
OpenSSL myself.

 -Rob