[stunnel-users] Definition of accept/local/remote sockets

Ludolf Holzheid lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
Fri Mar 20 20:01:11 CET 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-20 12:08:04 -0500, David Wittman wrote:
> Is there a clear definition of what stunnel defines as the accept, local,
> and remote sockets below?
>
>  > socket = a|l|r:OPTION=VALUE[:VALUE]
>  > Set an option on accept/local/remote socket
>
> From: http://www.stunnel.org/static/stunnel.html
>
> It seems to me that the accept and local socket would be the same thing.

David,

I think the "accept sockets" are the ones you pass to listen(), the
"local sockets" are the ones you get from accept() and the "remote
sockets" are the ones you pass to connect().

That is, the "accept sockets" are to wait for connections.  The "local
sockets" carry encrypted data in server mode and plain data in client
mode, and the "remote sockets" carry plain data in server mode and
encrypted data in client mode.

HTH,

Ludolf

--

Ludolf Holzheid

Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH
Floßwörthstraße 41
68199 Mannheim, Germany

Tel: +49 621 33996-0
Fax: +49 621 3392239

mailto:lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
http://www.bihl-wiedemann.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Mannheim
Geschäftsführer: Jochen Bihl, Bernhard Wiedemann
Amtsgericht Mannheim, HRB 5796