[stunnel-users] keyfile is not encrypted

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net
Wed Jul 15 15:38:05 CEST 2015

Hi Madhava,

I'm not sure which FIPS standard requires encryption keys *not* not be
stored in plaintext.  The standard just does not make sense.
An attacker, who can bypass file permissions to download the private
key, can use the same method to modify stunnel or OpenSSL to save the
key once it is decrypted.

If you can provide the passphrase over the network, you can as well
provide the private key itself...

Mike