[stunnel-users] FIPS compliant Stunnel build

Michael Curran mike_curran at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 22:49:11 CEST 2014

Hello --
Is Stunnel (any version) compatible with Fips-2.0 for compliance? I have found one individuals instructions for compiling fips-2.0.5 , but he calls out a prefix= in his configure for FIPS which breaks 140-2 compliance rules and makes the build no longer viable
>From the Fips-2.0 userguide
"Note that as a condition of the FIPS 140-2 validation no other user specified configuration optionsmay be specified. This restriction means that an optional install prefix cannot be specified –however, there is no restriction on subsequent manual relocation of the generated files to thedesired final location."
I know that Stunnel compiles just fine with OpenSSL1.0.1 versions, but there appears to have been a difference in the method of validation and installation of FIPS modules into a seperate modular directory, and is not located in the openssl/include files after build now
The stunnel configure script only looks for fips-1.0 as well , so my base assumption is might not be capable of handling FIPS-2.0 at this time.