[stunnel-users] Port assignment in .conf file for local email client unique?

Thomas Eifert kxkvi at wi.rr.com
Wed Sep 25 05:45:47 CEST 2013

Ben,

See replies below.

On 9/24/2013 6:32 AM, Ben Stover wrote:

> Assume I want to connect from my local email client to two (!) remote email servers
>
> The corresponding instructions in .conf file looks like (my guess):
>
> [smtps-firstacct]
> accept = 127.0.0.1:259
> connect = smtps.myisp1.com:465
>
> [smtps-secondacct]
> accept = 127.0.0.1:259
> connect = smtps.myisp2.com:465
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.) a configuration like above with the same "accept" port 259  is NOT possible because
> stunnel does not know to which remote email server he has to connect.
> To distinguish  two different remote email server I always have to select TWO different accept-ports like
>
> [smtps-firstacct]
> accept = 127.0.0.1:259
> connect = smtps.myisp1.com:465
>
> [smtps-secondacct]
> accept = 127.0.0.1:258
> connect = smtps.myisp2.com:465
>
> Correct?

Yes, you want to use different ports in the two service sections.

> 2.) Can I use arbitrary accept-ports like 1242 or 23199 or is there a port range from I have to select one?

You should be able to use any port you wish provided it doesn't produce
a conflict on your system.

> 3.) Moreover assume I want to make the SSL connection transparent can I select an accept-port 25?

What do you mean by "transparent"?  Selecting port 25 in and of itself
isn't important, although it may be convenient
in some circumstances since many SMTP in some clients is provisioned for
port 25 by default.  If you wish to use port 25,
there is nothing to prevent you from doing so.

> 4.) I read somewhere that I have always to specify in email client for POP3/SMTP an address
>
> 127.0.0.1:9999
>
> and NOT
>
> 127.0.0.1:259
>
> in order to connect to local stunnel service. Because local stunnel service is always listening on port 9999.
>
> Is this correct?

No.  Stunnel will listen wherever you tell it to listen.  There is
nothing magic about port 9999.