[stunnel-users] Port assignment in .conf file for local email client unique?

Ben Stover bxstover at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 24 13:32:05 CEST 2013

Assume I want to connect from my local email client to two (!) remote email servers

The corresponding instructions in .conf file looks like (my guess):

[smtps-firstacct]
accept = 127.0.0.1:259
connect = smtps.myisp1.com:465

[smtps-secondacct]
accept = 127.0.0.1:259
connect = smtps.myisp2.com:465

Questions:

1.) a configuration like above with the same "accept" port 259  is NOT possible because
stunnel does not know to which remote email server he has to connect.
To distinguish  two different remote email server I always have to select TWO different accept-ports like

[smtps-firstacct]
accept = 127.0.0.1:259
connect = smtps.myisp1.com:465

[smtps-secondacct]
accept = 127.0.0.1:258
connect = smtps.myisp2.com:465

Correct?

2.) Can I use arbitrary accept-ports like 1242 or 23199 or is there a port range from I have to select one?

3.) Moreover assume I want to make the SSL connection transparent can I select an accept-port 25?

4.) I read somewhere that I have always to specify in email client for POP3/SMTP an address

127.0.0.1:9999

and NOT

127.0.0.1:259

in order to connect to local stunnel service. Because local stunnel service is always listening on port 9999.

Is this correct?

Thank you
Ben