[stunnel-users] Difference between verify=2, 3 and 4

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Fri Sep 20 12:34:32 CEST 2013

On 20.09.2013 04:30, Javier wrote:
> But a bit contradictory to accept a certificate that has been issued by a CA
> you don't trust, just for the main purpose of establish an SSL connection.

Why? I can easily see a provider (say, e-mail) buying a server cert from
an ultra-el-cheapo CA that *I* wouldn't trust to hold the door open for
me. As long as that CA only gets the CSR from the provider (and never
sees the private key), there's no reason why I shouldn't trust *the
keypair*, though. And the server cert effectively is the embodiment of
that keypair / the pubkey in the SSL exchange.

(And "I don't care about the CA, just gimme encryption to prevent
eavesdropping" *is* how web browsers used HTTPS for quite some time.
Which then got supplanted by "everyone works along the list of CAs that
come preinstalled in browsers today" ... :-S )

On 20.09.2013 05:27, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> So in which case would I ever use 3? Somehow I
> can't think of such a situation. If I already explicitly trust a
> specific certificate, why would I be interested in checking the CA
> chain?

Imagine the CA (or one of the intermediate CAs) getting compromised and
corresponding revocations becoming available to your machine (by OS
updates, OCSP, whatever) before you hear of the incident.

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel