[stunnel-users] EXTERNAL: Re: stunnel server configuration requirement to handle CBC protection

Bucci, David G david.g.bucci at lmco.com
Tue Nov 5 21:47:23 CET 2013

Hmm. I had heard some of this but not gotten to studying it in better detail, thx.  Unfortunately, our security posture is dictated to us, and deprecating CBC is active guidance, where I haven't seen any guidance yet on RC4 ... but that could change any day.

I do wonder, though, at the strength of that recommendation to revert to CBCs ... BEAST and CRIME and Lucky13 have actual, working attack software known to be in use, no?  And I'm not dismissing it, but the attack vector seems more limiting for an RC4 vulnerability - millions of hits during the session using different keys + known string, all having to be run from within your browser/client context.

Maybe a better posture would be, prefer CBCs for TLS1.1/1.2, but if falling back to TLS1.0/SSL3.0, use RC4.  No?  I think some of my network devices have that flexibility - not sure about OpenSSL, if you can control based on protocol.

In any case, back to the root question - is it possible to config stunnel to pass the cipher limitations/preferences to OpenSSL?

p.s. I AM considering stuffing a few hundred bytes of meaningless, random headers into some of my apps' returns, however, as a quick fix.  At least move the problem to the right on the probability graph.