[stunnel-users] Certificate failure to verify with verify = 4 option

Thomas Eifert kxkvi at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 10 00:06:46 CEST 2013

Greetings;

Stunnel 4.56 running under Win 7 SP1 x86.

Recently, the owners of a server I regularly connect to updated their
server certificate; the former had expired at the end of May.

As soon as that event occurred, I deleted the old certificate, then used
the "save peer certificate" function of Stunnel to get the updated one.

However, the new certificate fails to verify, even with the verify = 4
option in Stunnel.  The error message is similar to what I used to get
when doing a verify = 3 with some certificates.  The general error
output of Stunnel is:

CERT: Verification error: unable to get local issuer certificate
2013.06.09 16:37:46 LOG4[608:2336]: Certificate check failed: depth=0

When I open the new certificate with:

   openssl x509 -text -in certname.pem

and view the certificate details, I'm not seeing anything obvious.
The certificate is within a valid date range, and contains the same
basic elements as other certs I've viewed.  The certificate appears
to have been issued by Startcom LLC.

If I comment out the verify statement, I'm able to successfully
negotiate an SSL connection with the server.

I realize that this may be more of an openssl issue than an issue with
Stunnel.  Nevertheless, I thought I'd start here and throw it out to
the floor for comments.

Anyone have any ideas or have run into this issue?

Regards,

Thomas

--
Attention: This message and all attachments are private and may contain
information that is confidential and privileged. If you received this