[stunnel-users] limited number of ports

Javier meresponde2001-stn at yahoo.es
Sat Apr 6 17:34:21 CEST 2013

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 18:28:43 -0400
Brian Wilkins <bwilkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> I simply have two entries in services. It requires editing the registry and
> giving two different names to the service entries, for instance
> stunnel-client and stunnel-server. You can call different config files too.

Hi,

Ok, I've played a little with your explanation and SrvAny (link below) and
I found that is not exactly as you tell, at least under Windows 2000.

I didn't know this, but stunnel can run several instances just renaming the
stunnel.exe executable, because what stunnel checks only is the PID name
not whatever others applications check to check if it is already running. So
just changing the executable name of every stunnel.exe copy is enough to have
several intances running.

About the services, it is not as you told (with my tests). I created two services,
but if they call to the same executable the behavior is as expected: unable to
run 2 or more instances. It only works if you link each service with a different
named executable. Lets say we create service "stn1" and "stn2"; "stn1" should
call to "stunnel1.exe" and "stn2" should call to "stunnel2.exe". Of course, each
one can take each own .conf file.

Anyway, it was interesting to find out this :-)

Regards.

Handy application from the NT Resource Kit:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890/en

Download links, including for Windows 2003 server (microsoft website link):
http://www.iopus.com/guides/srvany.htm

Remember to pass an antivirus anyway.