[stunnel-users] Safest suggested client/server stunnel configurations to prevent MITM attacks

Michael K. Avanessian michael at mka.net
Sat Oct 20 05:41:00 CEST 2012

I'm currently tunneling SSH over SSL using stunnel.

I thought that stunneled ssh data was safe.  However, recently I've read that if going through a sophisticated http/https proxy, it's possible to be hacked by a "legitimate" mitm attack to fool an SSL client.

Is it still possible to configure stunnel so that ssl can't be compromised between both ends?

I'm going to take a wild guess here; which I'm sure I'm probably wrong.  But, could I just install stunnel; and, let it create automatically a self-signed (stunnel.pem) certificate file... then just copy that file to the stunnel install on the other end?  That way both sides are already aware of each other's public keys; and, wouldn't be vulnerable during the initial unencrypted handshake?

I'm sure I'm probably way off; and, there's more I need to do in stunnel's configuration to further ensure the SSL won't be compromised.. such as the stunnel "verify" setting.  I'm not sure which setting to have it; and, what it actually does.

I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this with simple suggested client--> server configs that would keep ssl uncompromised as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!