[stunnel-users] Accept on same port to ethernet aliases

Ludolf Holzheid lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
Wed Jun 27 19:23:10 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-28 02:01:36 +1000, John Morrison wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to configure stunnel to use the same port on different IP addresses that are Ethernet aliases?

Hi John,

on most (if not all) operating systems, you bind() a socket to a
network interface, not to an IP address. The confusion is caused by
the fact, the network interface is identified by its IP address.  The
second IP address on your eth0 really is an alias, i.e. a second name
for the same thing.

Thus, I'm afraid you can't configure stunnel to distinguish the IP
addresses on the same ethernet interface.

HTH,

Ludolf

Ludolf Holzheid             Tel:    +49 621 339960
Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH         Fax:    +49 621 3392239
Floßwörthstraße 41          e-mail: lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
D-68199 Mannheim, Germany