[stunnel-users] protocols options clarification

Brian Wilkins bwilkins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 22:27:27 CET 2012

>From protocol.c in the stunnel source:

static const struct {
    char *name;
    struct {
        PROTOCOL_PHASE type;
        FUNCTION func;
    } handlers[2];
} protocols[]={
    {"proxy",   {{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL,     proxy_server},
{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL, NULL}}},
    {"cifs",    {{PROTOCOL_PRE_CONNECT, cifs_server},
{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL, cifs_client}}},
    {"pgsql",   {{PROTOCOL_PRE_CONNECT, pgsql_server},
{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL, pgsql_client}}},
    {"smtp",    {{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL,     smtp_server},
{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL, smtp_client}}},
    {"pop3",    {{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL,     pop3_server},
{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL, pop3_client}}},
    {"imap",    {{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL,     imap_server},
{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL, imap_client}}},
    {"nntp",    {{PROTOCOL_NONE,        NULL},
{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL, nntp_client}}},
    {"connect", {{PROTOCOL_PRE_CONNECT, connect_server},
{PROTOCOL_PRE_SSL, connect_client}}},
    {NULL,      {{PROTOCOL_NONE,        NULL},
{PROTOCOL_NONE,    NULL}}}
};

*STARTTLS* is an extension to plain text communication protocols, which
offers a way to upgrade a plain text connection to an encrypted
(TLS<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security>or
SSL <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Socket_Layer>) connection instead
of using a separate port for encrypted communication.

stunnel will use one port to communicate the encrypted information. That's
what it is telling you. No need to initiate a separate port when STARTTLS
is sent.