[stunnel-users] MySQL replication + SSL/stunnel

Gareth Evans garethevans at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 27 20:12:18 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm failing miserably to implement replication over any kind of SSL (that is, MySQL's native (alleged) SSL support) or stunnel.  I'd be grateful for any tips or advice.

I have tried using OpenSSL and MySQL in various flavours:

CentOS 6.2, OpenSSL v1.0.0, MySQL v5.1.63
Ubuntu 12.04, OpenSSL v1.0.1, MySQL v 5.5.24

and stunnel4 on both - certs created with OpenSSL in each case.

I get an eror 1045 access denied from the MySQL native SSL approach, and

mysql -u ejbkslave -pejbkslavepw -h127.0.0.1 -P3307
ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 104

from stunnel (connecting two Ubuntu 12.04 VM's on my PC, with the latest updates) - if you know what causes this error and/or could point me towards some good documentation, I'd be grateful.

I've copied and amended stunnel.conf-sample and just added debug and accept/connect info in each case.
I've seen various reports around the web that OpenSSL+MySQL don't work together at the moment, but it seems some people can repicate the problem while others can't - I've tried the previous version of OpenSSL (1.0.0e on Ubuntu) still without success.

Most frustrating!!

Thanks
Gareth