[stunnel-users] forcing my untangle server to scan my https traffic

Scott Gifford sgifford at suspectclass.com
Tue Mar 1 16:27:29 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:21 AM, bing <bingb at tcsaa.com> wrote:

>  On 2/28/2011 10:36 PM, Scott Gifford wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 4:27 PM,
>
> [ ... ]

>  What doesn't work is the untangle server shows no scanning activity when I
>> access the web pages. I think the path webserver->untangle->webserver does
>> not trigger the scanning in untangle because the traffic it sees is from an
>> internal ip going to the same internal ip.
>>

>  Interesting.  Can you put another Web server box outside of Untangle to
> decrypt the traffic, then pass it through as normal?  That could help with
> performance as well.  Or use a second network connection to pass the traffic
> back out to Untangle's external interface?
>
>    I'd try that if I had another ip address. Also, putting a box in front
> of the firewall sounds dangerous.

It's true there's some risk to this approach.  You would want to be very
careful in locking the box down, so nothing is exposed apart from the
service you are offering.  Fortunately Linux includes a quite powerful
firewall tool, so it's pretty straightforward to do this.  Keep in mind that
Untangle itself is a Linux server, so with careful configuration you should
be able to make your system at least as secure as that server.

> Also, do you find that stunnel is able to work reliably doing HTTPS in this
> way?  My recollection is that there is some difficulty with redirects
> generated by the Web server, but perhaps something has changed.
>
>    My website is currently pretty simple. Maybe I'll start seeing problems
> when the site gets going for real. Hope not!

The trick can be on redirects IIRC, so you might want to test these.  Using
a dedicated SSL server in front of a Web server is not uncommon, if it
doesn't work I bet a bit of Web searching could turn up a workable solution.

Good luck!

------Scott.