[stunnel-users] Stunnel forwarding IP

Michal Trojnara Michal.Trojnara at mirt.net
Sat Jan 15 22:13:02 CET 2011

Peter Pentchev wrote:
> Okay, what do people think about the attached patch that is based on
> Jason Helfman's work in a FreeBSD PR, but abstracts the transparent
> proxying option (and the setsockopt() level, and the option's name)
> so that it supports *both* the Linux IP_TRANSPARENT implementation and
> *BSD's IP_BINDANY one, and leaves the door open for others in the
> future?
>
> I'm about to commit this patch to the FreeBSD port of stunnel in
> a couple of minutes; of course, it's up to Michal Trojnara to decide
> whether to integrate it upstream in this or any other shape or form :)

I appreciate your understanding of my principles.  8-)

I think the code should look something like:

     memcpy(&addr, &c->bind_addr.addr[0], sizeof addr);
/* non-local bind on FreeBSD */
#if defined(IP_BINDANY) && defined(IPV6_BINDANY)
     int on=1;
     if(c->opt->option.transparent) {
         if(addr.sa.sa_family==AF_INET) { /* IPv4 */
             if(setsockopt(c->fd, IPPROTO_IP, IP_BINDANY, &on, sizeof
on)) {
                 sockerror("setsockopt IP_BINDANY");
                 longjmp(c->err, 1);
             }
         } else { /* IPv6 */
             if(setsockopt(c->fd, IPPROTO_IPV6, IPV6_BINDANY, &on,
sizeof on)) {
                 sockerror("setsockopt IPV6_BINDANY");
                 longjmp(c->err, 1);
             }
         }
     }
#endif /* non-local bind on FreeBSD */

Unfortunately I don't have any FreeBSD system configured to test it.
Can you please do it for me and let me know if it compiles/works?